We take our mission, “to create a more viable society”, seriously. This means making climate change an inherent part of how we run our business.
Hydro is leading the way in helping reduce greenhouse gases:
• Producing aluminum in a more energy-efficient manner by using renewable energy as much as possible and harnessing every possible kilowatt from our existing hydropower resources
• Applying new technologies to the electrolysis process used in smelting to reduce emissions
• Helping customers use aluminum to create more energy-efficient products, buildings and vehicles
• Strengthening our own remelting efforts, helping foster ‘end-of-life’ recycling, and helping customers and stakeholders better prepare for recycling
• Investing in solar energy conversion technologies and aluminum-based solutions for buildings and large-scale solar energy parks
Hydro is one of only two aluminum companies included in the 2010 Dow Jones Sustainability World Indexes(DJSI World), which includes the 10 percent best performers in each industry. Hydro has been included in the DJSI every year since the indexes were launched in 1999.
2011 recycled content declaration
Hydro’s Extrusion North America unit sources billet for its extrusion facilities from its own network of 3 casthouses. These casthouses, in St. Augustine, FL, Monett, MO, and Phoenix, AZ utilize state-of-the-art proprietary Hydro technology to produce primary quality extrusion billet with high recycled content. All are ISO 9001 certified.
In 2010, these facilities consumed nearly 220 million pounds of recycled aluminum; over 25% of the total represented post-consumer material, with the remainder post-industrial scrap from Hydro’s extrusion facilities, our customers, and other extruders. This represents further growth in our use of post consumed material, and an increase from 14% in ‘09.
In 2010, the scrap content of 6000 series alloy billet produced in the EA casthouses, and consumed in the EA extrusion facilities exceeded 70%, as it did in 2007, 2008, and 2009.