Hydro is a fully integrated aluminium company with 35,000 employees in 40 countries on all continents, combining local expertise, worldwide reach and unmatched capabilities in R&D. In addition to production of primary aluminium, rolled and extruded products and recycling, Hydro also extracts bauxite, refines alumina, and generates energy to be the only fully integrated company of the global aluminium industry.
HR in Hydro consist of three specialized parts: Global HR, HR Business Partners and Global Business Services (GBS) HR. The GBS unit is a shared service function along Hydro’s value chain delivering operational financial services, IS/IT support in addition to HR services. GBS HR is organized in regional and global hubs, and we are now searching for an Employee and Industrial Relations Specialist to GBS HR regional hub in Norway.
GBS HR Norway is serving approx. 4 500 leaders and employees across different sites (aluminium plants, power plants, rolling mills and the corporate headquarter) in Norway. As an Employee and Industrial Relations Specialist, you will be part of an experienced HR team of 35 employees spread across several locations. You will have a key expert role internally in GBS HR Norway, supporting the other HR specialists in complex cases and evaluations within area of expertise/responsibility, as well as giving advice directly to customers in the business. The role is based in Oslo and reports to Head of GBS HR Regional Hub Norway.
Area of Responsibility
The purpose of the specialist role is to provide expert support to business leaders and HR Business Partners in handling both collective and individual cases between employee and employer. You will:
- Be contact person and main responsible for employee representative bodies (central union rep meeting, union rep. contact meeting, election bodies and process for Corporate Assembly, Board of Directors)
- Conduct and support HR BP’s and line management in consultations with employee representatives on national issues, restructuring projects and with regards to implementation of corporate HR Projects
- Support early stage M&A projects and contribute to organize support implementation and realization of such agreements (inbound/outbound)
- Provide legal advice to HR BPs and line management with regards to restructuring processes
- Provide legal advice to executive leaders, HR BPs and senior line managers on handling individual disputes (e.g. on conduct, performance or policy)
- Advise line management on remaining compliant with local legal and regulatory requirements pertaining to the employment relationship
- Advise line management or HR BPs in handling disciplinary and grievance cases
- Initiate conceptual design and negotiation with employee representative bodies to implement agreements related to compensation, time and attendance etc.
- Be a member of the GBS HR Norway management team
- Represent Hydro in relevant external employer bodies such as “Arbeidspolitisk Utvalg” in “Norsk Industri”
- Master’s degree in law or other relevant areas
- Long, relevant work experience may compensate for lack of high academic degree
- Extensive work experience, min. 5 years, from similar work as described above, in particular negotiations with unions and giving advice in labour law related issues
- A solid understanding of the Noregian HR legal and regulatory environment, including Norwegian Labour Law
- Norwegian knowledge is a requirement
- Negotiation and influencing skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal. Experience in writing formal employer/employee agreements disciplinary warnings etc.
- Ability to build effective trust relations
This role gives excellent opportunities to build a broad network and gain exposure to Hydro’s total organization in Norway. You will have close contact with unit, business area and corporate HR leaders, as well as close contact with labor unions in Norway (9 different unions with local branches). Some business travel may be expected.
Health, safety, security, and environment (HSE) are an integrated part of Hydro’s daily activities. We thus look for employees who will contribute positively to this by their commitment to HSE, their attitude and related actions.
Only applications received through our online system will be considered, not via e-mail. Please enclose all relevant transcripts with your application (academic records/diplomas, certificates etc.).
As part of our recruitment process, we use Semac for background checks.