Hydro Extrusion is able in some global locations to produce the non-heat-treatable 1xxx series of aluminum alloy in extruded sections with a purity of at least 99.0% aluminum for alloy 1100 up to 99.6% for 1060 aluminum.
Alloy 1060 is a relatively low strength, high purity alloy with a 99.6% minimum aluminum content. It is noted for its excellent welding characteristics and formability along with good corrosion resistance. It has excellent forming capability by cold or hot working with commercial techniques and may be welded by standard commercial methods.
The entire 1xxx alloy group displays excellent forming, welding, brazing and finishing characteristics, and can easily be impacted, cold drawn, deep drawn and bent into various configurations. The characteristics of alloy 1060 make it ideal for chemical and food handling equipment, as well as for food, pharmaceutical and liquid containers.
In addition to alloy 1060, common alloys in this series available from some Hydro locations include 1050, 1100 and 1350, all of which can be extruded as profiles, rod, bar and tubing:
- Alloy 1050 is known for its good corrosion resistance, formability, weldability, ductility and highly reflective finish. It’s a popular grade for general sheet metal work where moderate strength is required. Alloy 1050 is typically used for food industry containers, architectural flashings, cable sheathing and chemical process plant equipment.
- Alloy 1100, although slightly stronger than alloy 1060, shares some of the same applications, plus fin stock, spun hollowware, impacted fire extinguisher bottles and tubing. This alloy contains slight additions of silicon, iron, and copper for strength.
- Alloy 1350 is used primarily for electrical conductors, and -H111 temper exhibits the highest electrical conductivity of all extruded aluminum conductor grades, meeting or exceeding 61.0% IACS.
Hydro Extrusion is part of Norsk Hydro, the world’s largest aluminum company. We offer a complete selection of rod, bar, pipe and tube aluminum products, structural angles, channels, tees, zees, H-beams and I-beams, in a comprehensive range of standard and custom shapes, up to 22.5” circle size.
Aluminum extrusion produces solid, semi-hollow and hollow shapes that have dimensional accuracy and excellent surface quality and can range in size from one millimeter to several feet long. Color, texture and luster of extrusions can be altered in a variety of ways, including anodizing, painting and powder coating. This makes extrusion profiles indispensible in virtually all commercial, industrial and consumer markets.
We use 6xxx series aluminum alloys and proprietary alloys in the 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 5xxx, and 7xxx series, as well as standard and special tempers, to satisfy our clients’ most complex size and shape requirements.
We also offer unparalleled resources that can reduce your costs and cycle times. Our value-added fabrication services provide a complete solution that’s ready to ship or insert into a production line, such as:
- CNC machining
- Friction stir welding
- Tungsten inert gas (TIG) welding
- Polishing and brushing
- Sand blasting
- Hydro forming
- 2 booth and 4 booth vertical wet painting
- Caustic etching and acid etching
- Clear and two-step anodizing
- Brite Dip to 18’
- Stretch and roll forming
- Assembly, packaging and delivery
Hydro's North American network of 20+ locations and more than 60 extrusion presses gives us extraordinary capabilities. We are a key supplier due to our ability to produce a wide variety of alloys and tempers, as well as our strict adherence to tolerances. We are eager to show you why we should also be your aluminum extrusion supplier.