Why aluminium in cars
In the quest of making lighter cars, aluminium and other lightweight materials are replacing steel.
However, not all components of the car can be replaced by these materials.
The following parts could be replaced by aluminium:
- Body panels (40 percent lighter car body than in steel)
- Heat exchangers
- Engine blocks
- Shock absorbers
- Wheels (up to 35 percent lighter than steel)
- Suspension parts (30-to-35 percent lighter than steel)
- Interior design and decoration
- Exterior details like roof rails