Hydro is a fully integrated aluminium company with 35,000 employees in 40 countries on all continents, combining local expertise, worldwide reach and unmatched capabilities in R&D. In addition to production of primary aluminium, rolled and extruded products and recycling, Hydro also extracts bauxite, refines alumina and generates energy to be the only 360° company of the global aluminium industry. Hydro is present within all market segments for aluminium, with sales and trading activities throughout the value chain serving more than 30,000 customers.
Our Primary Metal (PM) business area has a total annual production capacity of more than 2 million tons of primary aluminium and around 5 000 employees in 16 countries. We produce primary aluminium, recycle and supply our customers with extrusion ingot, sheet ingot, foundry alloys and wire rod.
Logistics, part of the PM Commercial business unit, works as a strategic and operational service provider for key functions within PM such as product areas, strategic sourcing, and global fully-owned smelters. The Logistics department represents one of the biggest shipping and transportation units in Norway in terms of both volumes and spend, and our logistics services will continue to form an important part of Hydro’s competitive position within the aluminium industry going forward.
We are now looking to hire an experienced professional to head the Shipping and Inbound Logistics unit. This is an excellent opportunity to gain insight in and contribute to the global aluminium business.
Area of Responsibility
You will lead a competent and ambitious team located in Oslo and Karmøy, commercially responsible for all seaborne transportation in Primary Metal, both for inbound and outbound shipments. The responsibility also includes operational responsibility for the inbound flow of raw materials to our Norwegian smelters and global joint ventures.
Task and responsibilities include:
- Accountable for seaborne contracts, supporting Hydro’s competitive positioning through quality, reliability, and cost
- Develop commercially and operationally solid supply chains for the inbound flow of raw materials to plants
- Develop, implement, and execute the unit’s short-term and long-term strategy
- Facilitate the success of the team, by supporting the development of individual team members and coaching them to reach objective targets
- Active involvement with internal customers and stakeholder
- Ensure compliance and risk mitigation activities within seaborne operations, with strong focus on HSE and CSR
- Organize and conduct cross functional projects for improvement and optimization in key areas
- Participate in and lead tender activities and negotiations with shipowners
- Part of the Logistics Management Team
- Master’s degree, preferably within Business Administration or Engineering
- Minimum 8 years’ experience within shipping and logistics, with a high degree of value chain overview and understanding
- Experience from the North European short sea market desired, preferably within the break bulk and dry bulk sector
- Commercial attitude and proven negotiation skills
- A track-record in developing and executing on ambitious strategies
- Skilled in contract ownership and supplier relationship management
- Leadership experience, with the ability to lead and develop teams
- Project management experience, with focus on work processes
- Experience working in a matrix organization
- Strong communication skills and fluency in Norwegian and English, verbal and written
As a person, we believe you are characterized by your commercial mindset, your systematic and analytical approach, your proactivity and strong customer focus. You communicate well at all levels of an organization, and thrive when you find solutions to complex challenges in collaboration with others, contributing to a strong ethical awareness and integrity in the work environment.
Health, safety, security, and environment (HSE) are an integrated part of Hydro’s daily activities. Our responsibility is to protect the health and safety of our employees and to contribute to the sustainable development of the communities in which we operate. We thus look for employees who will contribute positively to this by their commitment to HSE, their attitude and related actions.
Please note that the position will require frequent travel. Only applications received through our online system will be considered, not via e-mail. Please enclose all relevant transcripts with your application (academic records/diplomas, certificates etc.).
Hydro is a global and dynamic company made up by ambitious and talented co-workers that challenge and reward each other. As our colleague, you will be given the opportunity and responsibility to further develop your skills and build an exciting career. Make your talent count – renew the future!