Hydro is a fully integrated aluminum company with 35,000 employees in 40 countries on all continents, combining local expertise, worldwide reach and unmatched capabilities in R&D. In addition to production of primary aluminum, rolled and extruded products and recycling, Hydro also extracts bauxite, refines alumina and generates energy to be the only 360° company of the global aluminum industry. Hydro is present within all market segments for aluminum, with sales and trading activities throughout the value chain serving more than 30,000 customers.
The Continuous Improvement (Genesis) Manager must have a deep-rooted back ground and industrial experience engaged in lean manufacturing with a focus on TPS (Toyota Production System) or ABS (Alcoa Business System) experience preferred. The best candidate will be tenacious at identifying waste in the process and will have proficiencies in coaching management and operators in the culture and mindset of lean. They must have demonstrated experience in project management and can develop and drive cultural change at the core.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports department managers and flow paths in teaching and leading improvement activities, Kaizen, development of Standardized Work, etc.
- Utilizes current tracking tools and develops new tracking tools to allow systems to be monitored and challenged
- Identifies and participates in the identification and reduction of ergonomic risks. Teaches and facilitates how to identify risks and problem solve solutions as part of continuous improvement and redesign
- Develops systems to support departmental and plant goals, as defined in the strategic plans
- Utilizes Genesis tools and principles to identify opportunities for improvement through the elimination of waste
- Coaches and facilitates the need to follow systems correctly to sustain effectiveness.
- Provides specific examples coordinating actual effective execution of improvement initiatives on manufacturing floor
- Recommends capital expenditures for acquisition of new equipment to increase efficiency and services
- Demonstrates proficiency in quantifying project impact estimates (monetized and KPI based) and measures results against budgeted values
- Demonstrates proficiency in coaching, teaching, and generally developing employees in needed skill sets that contribute to their personal betterment and the betterment of the company.
- Enforces compliance with administrative policies, procedures, safety rules and governmental regulations
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with organizations’ policies and applicable laws.
- Assists peers in development and deployment of A3 projects
- Follows up on improvement activities to help ensure sustained gains
- Manages core KPI tracking and improvement activities for plant
- Travels to other local plants in Portland and Vancouver to assist, as needed
- Understands that performing job tasks in a safe manner is the highest priority
- Adheres to all safety rules, guidelines and wears appropriate PPE, as required
- Cooperates and contributes to the creation of a safe, secure and healthy working environment and to the achievement of the company’s environmental obligations and goals
- Reports any unsafe condition or act immediately to Plant Manager and HSE Department
- Completes IMS entries on any unsafe conditions or incidents. Participates in accident or incident investigations and develops corrective actions
- Minimum Bachelors of Science degree in Engineering, Operations Management or equivalent degree.
- Preferred engineering disciplines include metallurgical, materials science, mechanical or industrial.
- Preferred post graduate degree in Engineering (M.S.E.) or M.B.A.
- Required training / certification in Lean Manufacturing, The Toyota Production System, or The Alcoa Business System required. Six Sigma training is optional but preferred as well. Deep level of understanding.
- Demonstrated intensity and tenacious approach to managing safety and understands the critical link between safety and quality, especially from a workplace efficiency perspective.
- Experience in CI roles external to Hydro– depth and breadth of exposure to successful lean manufacturing systems in heavy manufacturing.
- Preferred specific experience in aluminum extrusion but not a requirement. Focus on diversity of industrial exposure with strong lean / CI background.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience managing continuous improvement functions in heavy manufacturing industry.
- Demonstrated proficiency (specific examples) in disciplined, systemicproblem solving. Understands PDCA / A3 with extensive utilization. Six Sigma DMAIC also preferred but secondary.
- Demonstrated proficiency in project management (specific examples) driving efficiency and waste elimination kaizen with measurements.
- Demonstrated proficiency (specific examples) in working to enhance integrity and scope of process measurements. Accurately interprets data and conveys to the level of the audience.
- Specific examples of coordinating actual effective execution of improvement initiatives on the manufacturing shop floor (not just consulting but direct involvement) – specific examples.
- Demonstrated aggregate efficiency savings on the order 1% of annualized revenue ($10M per $1B). Should demonstrate some quantification of personal impact.
- Demonstrated proficiency in effectively leading initiatives in 5S, kaizen, visual controls, process variation management, optimization, MDI, TPM, single-piece flow (short-interval) and value stream mapping.
- Demonstrated proficiency in constructing and delivering high quality presentations to large and small groups. Excellent written and verbal articulation.
- Understands the concept of best practice and benchmarking. Demonstrates connection to the industry through society involvement and participation (LEI, Toyota Institute, APICS, Others).
- Demonstrated proficiency in quantifying project impact estimations (monetized and KPI based) and measures results against budgeted values.
- Demonstrated proficiency in process work flow definition, ERP design and systems design.
- Demonstrated proficiency in coaching, teaching and generally developing employees in needed skill sets that contribute to their personal betterment and to the betterment of the company.
- Demonstrated passion for establishing permanent countermeasure controls.
From Day One with Hydro, employees can enjoy benefits including:
- Medical, Rx, Dental, Disability, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts
- Retirement Savings Plans with Company match/contributions
- Education Assistance
- Bonus plan eligibility for all levels of employees
- Parental Leave
Please Apply Before: 8/30/2019
Hydro in North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer where all phases of employment are based strictly upon the qualifications of the individual as related to the work requirements of the position. This policy is applied without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other category protected by law.