Hydro’s commitment to safe and environmentally sound operations is universal and absolute. We are concerned about the situation and for the people and local communities of Barcarena affected by the flooding.
In addition to the ongoing cooperation with local authorities to distribute clean water to affected areas, the following efforts will be put into effect as soon as possible as a further humanitarian response.
- Provide reservoirs with drinkable water to the families in the three communities Barajuba, Bom Futuro and Villa Nova, who are lacking this
- Evaluate needs for reservoirs with drinkable water to the community’s close to Barajuba, Bom Futuro and Villa Nova
- Provide a health assistance truck carrying a doctor
- Support the Health secretariat in reinforcing hypocloride supplies
- Joint effort with the Health Assistance Secretary to evaluate how to collaborate on public health information to communities on water issues, and offer support to execute agreed plans if needed
- Invite community representatives/participants to the Alunorte plant to inform about the operations
- Separately, Hydro has engaged the people in the Bom Futuro community on a long-term solution to the dump in the community. In partnership with the Municipality, Hydro has completed basic engineering to establish a waste management facility as part of the new landfill.
Our main focus is to protect and ensure that people feel safe and secure, both employees at our plants and people around our plants. We will continue to cooperate with all relevant authorities in an open and transparent manner.