Environment and climate
We have committed ourselves to minimize and mitigate our emissions. Aluminium production has an impact on the environment: locally where we operate, and globally due to greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) and its effect on the climate.
As a fully integrated aluminium company, we are continuously improving our production methods and strive to minimize the impact our operations have on the environment and climate.
In our climate strategy we have set a target to reduce our own greenhouse gas emissions by 30% by 2030. We aim to do this through greener sourcing and greener production, and to help our customers reduce their emissions through greener products.
In 2013, Hydro set the ambition to be carbon neutral in a life cycle perspective. Carbon neutrality can be defined in many ways, and we define it as a balance between the direct and indirect emissions from our own operations, and the savings of applying our metal in the use phase. We achieved this in 2019.
Hydro’s approach to environmental management is based in our commitment to not only comply with local environmental laws and regulations but seek to minimize potential environmental risks and avoid lasting harm to the environment. Hydro’s own internal policies and procedures, related to environmental management, ensures that all our sites follow the same minimum HSE management standards.
Our environment strategy targets the key environmental challenges of the aluminium industry:
- 1:1 rehabilitation of available mined areas, continuously within two years
- Eliminating the need for new tailings dams by implementation of the Tailings Dry Backfill methodology
- Utilize 10% of bauxite residue output by 2030
- Recycle 65% of Spent Pot Lining (SPL) by 2030
- 50% reduction in non-GHG emissions by 2030*
* Applies to sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and particulate matter, from a 2017 baseline.