- Hydro is a world leader in research and development in the aluminium industry. We want to use the technology pilot at Karmøy to roll out the world’s most energy- and climate-efficient technology for producing aluminium.
- In recent years, our researchers in Hydro’s technology centers in Årdal and Porsgrunn in Norway and Neuss in Germany have developed the next generation in electrolysis technology that will reduce energy consumption and emissions in the aluminium industry. This technology is tested in a full-scale production plant.
- The new technology as a whole can be installed in future aluminium plants, and some technology elements can be implemented in existing plants to improve energy efficiency and operational stability.
- Using 60 new pots, the pilot plant produces about 75,000 tonnes of aluminium a year.
- The pilot plant provides new jobs at Karmøy and increase total production capacity by 40 percent.
- The technology pilot is estimated to cost NOK 4.3 billion, supported by a contribution of close to NOK 1.6 billion from Enova, a Norwegian public enterprise which supports new energy and climate-related technology.
- Innovation Norway provided NOK 22.5 million in support to the technology development program for the pilot, which made it possible to maintain momentum until the investment support from Enova was secured.
Uppdaterad: oktober 14, 2021