We define our ambition and role in decarbonization based on three pillars:
- Becoming a net-zero company
- Deliver zero-carbon aluminium products to customers
- Enabling the removal of carbon from the broader industry and society through our renewable energy, hydrogen and battery businesses.
Net zero Hydro
We are on track to reduce our own emissions by 10% by 2025 and 30% by 2030 from a 2018 baseline.
We are committed to net zero emissions by 2050 or earlier.
Net zero products
We are developing zero-carbon greener aluminium to meet market expectations and enable customers to reduce their carbon footprint.
Our main pathways to achieving our goals are more recycling of post-consumer scrap aluminium and technological advances in primary aluminium production, such as carbon capture and storage and our proprietary HalZero technology. This is a technology where carbon and chloride are kept in closed loops, resulting in a fully decarbonized process.
We expect to be able to produce our first near-zero volumes of aluminium around 2022.
Net zero society
- We are reducing greenhouse gas emissions in society at large by delivering climate-friendly solutions.
- We are increasing renewable energy production.
- We are exploring energy storage and solutions.
- We are working to develop green hydrogen to replace fossil fuels.
- We will continue to grow in low-carbon and recycled aluminium.
We have established several milestones toward the overall ambition of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050, including a 10% reduction by 2025 and a 30% reduction by 2030 from a 2018 baseline. Through greener sourcing and greener production, we also aim to help our customers in reducing their emissions through greener products.
One of the largest single projects that will help us accomplish our shorter-term goals is by implementing a greener energy mix at our Alunorte alumina refinery in Brazil.
Currently, the refinery uses fuel oil as an energy source. We are replacing this with liquid natural gas transported by ship to the Barcarena harbor. Not only will this help reduce our direct carbon emissions from energy use, it will help develop critical infrastructure that can benefit the entire region of Pará State.
Recycling of post-consumer aluminium scrap and new technology will be the main levers for delivering more low-carbon aluminium.
Technology development for low- or zero-carbon will explore different paths, such as carbon capture and storage, green hydrogen and carbon-free processes, such as our proprietary HalZero technology.