Hydro Extrusion has extraordinary capabilities in extruded aluminum shapes, sizes, alloys and tempers, including both direct and indirect extrusion methods, for the residential and commercial building industry. These profiles provide the high-quality components for the aluminum docks, ramps, stairs, bridges and platforms from REDD Team, a division of Hydro Extrusion.
Whether floating, rolling, fixed or cantilevered, our marine docks are made from custom extruded aluminum and engineered for the toughest environments. All dock construction is 6000 series aluminum alloy with 6061-T6 for primary structural components, and all fasteners are grade 304 stainless steel for the most corrosion-resistant product.
Aluminum vs. Wood or Steel
Aluminum alloys, in particular those in the 6xxx series, are known to be much more corrosion resistant than plain carbon or atmospheric corrosion resistant (ACR) structural steel. They are also far more resistant to the damaging effects of rain, snow and UV rays than wood. However, there are other benefits:
- light weight (i.e., low density, high strength-to-weight ratio, easy to move)
- highly durable (i.e., rust and corrosion resistant due to its thin, naturally occurring, impenetrable protective aluminum oxide film)
- good thermal conductivity (i.e., strengthens in cold weather but remains cool to the touch in high temperatures)
- aesthetic qualities of the unpainted metal (i.e., the metal can be used as-is without further finishing)
- self-draining and slip-resistant
- maintains its shape and dimension; will not split, rot or warp (wood shrinks and expands)
- requires no scraping, sanding, painting or staining, unlike wood
- high degree of formability (i.e., the ability to extrude complex, customized shapes)
- non-combustible (i.e., does not burn; wood readily catches fire and burns)
- environmentally friendly (i.e., can be infinitely recycled without losing its superb properties; no harmful chemicals to pollute waterways)
- modular (i.e., docks can easily be disassembled and reconfigured)
- low maintenance (i.e., never needs to be refinished; steel must be painted or treated to protect it from rust and corrosion, especially if used in a moist, damp or abrasive environment)
Our docks are designed to survive the test of time, especially in environments with high salt exposure, and the positive attributes of aluminum will result in additional savings over the life of the structure.
Prefabricated Floating Docks
Ideal for residential or commercial use in waterways with deep and/or fluctuating water levels, REDD Team’s prefab floating docks are meticulously designed and engineered with an emphasis on weight & stability.
They are engineered to support a uniform live load of 35-lbs./sq. ft., and the deck material is designed for a concentrated vertical load of 300 pounds distributed over a one square foot area. Decking material options include slip-resistant, self-mating, extruded aluminum, wood decking, and wood polymer composites. They also incorporate wood fendering that contains no CCA or wood polymer composite fendering and vinyl bumpers.
The rollers in our pile guides are ultra high molecular weight (UHMW) polyethylene with black UV light inhibitor added to prevent damage from the sun, debris, oil, gas, marine organisms, salt, and fresh water. Flotation devices are rotationally molded, heavy wall polyethylene float drums, with UV light inhibitors, and are filled with modified polystyrene, expanded in place, to a minimum density of 1.0 to 1.2 lbs./cu. ft.
As part of the world’s largest aluminum profile company, Hydro Extrusion produces high value-added products through our experience, technical knowledge and unmatched product range. We operate 23 locations and 65 extrusion presses across North America, and offer the industry’s broadest product capabilities in press sizes and tonnages (direct and indirect extrusion), alloy selection, circle sizes, profile types and “green” billet.
Contact us for aluminum docks, gangways, ramps, and a variety of other aluminum access products.